Close Menu
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
What's On

Simphiwe is now mixing jokes with positive words

May 19, 2026

Quantum Ai & Kalki: Will Quantum AI be Kalki Avatar? Cyber ​​expert Amit Dubey said – not denying any possibility – quantum ai kalyug kalki avatar connection cyber expert amit dubey said not denying any possibilities

May 19, 2026

Ruling does not change anything as far as NGV is concerned – department

May 19, 2026

The Chancellor of the Exchequer rescues himself from this millionaire

May 19, 2026

Joe Sibanyoni | ‘Police still have strong case’

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Times Network
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
Home » Ruling does not change anything as far as NGV is concerned – department
Business

Ruling does not change anything as far as NGV is concerned – department

By staffMay 19, 20263 Mins Read
Ruling does not change anything as far as NGV is concerned – department
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Foster Mohale, spokesperson for the Department of Health. (Photo: GCIS)

The Department of Health says the Constitutional Court’s ruling on Monday has no impact on the National Health Insurance Act (NHIA).

“It is important to clarify that the judgment is not a judgment related to the NGV,” says Foster Mohale, spokesperson for the Department of Health.

On Monday, the Constitutional Court declared articles 36 to 40 of the National Health Act of 2003, which disregard health practitioners’ right to decide what services they provide – and where they provide them – unconstitutional.

“The articles in question were accepted by parliament 23 years ago and never put into effect, says Mohale now. “So there is no direct impact of the ruling on the NGV.”

Mohale says politicians and some people in the private health sector were quick to mislead the public after the verdict.

“No article of the NGV has been declared unconstitutional.”

The Constitutional Court Judgement handed on Monday, 18 May, declared that sections 36 to 40 of the National Health Act 61 of 2003 are inconsistent with the Constitution and invalid in that they are irrational and unjustifiably limit the right to choose a trade, occupation… pic.twitter.com/bK4wKOC75b

— National Department of Health (@HealthZA) May 18, 2026

It therefore does not change anything about the government’s plans for the country’s health system.

“The department will continue with all necessary preparations for strengthening the health system for the NHS as the mechanism for South Africa to achieve universal health care coverage.

“This is in line with the provisions of section 27 of the Constitution which guarantees everyone the right to access health care services, including reproductive health care.”

However, Solidarity believes that Monday’s verdict is a huge victory for health practitioners and the wider public.

The organization says the so-called certificate of need was one of the most important mechanisms by which the government wanted to exercise greater control over the health industry.

According to Solidarity, this would have increasingly given the state the power to determine which health practitioner may practice where and which services may be provided.

Anton van der Bijl. (Photo: Reint Dykema)

Anton van der Bijl, deputy chief executive of Solidarity, said earlier on Monday that the verdict overturns one of the central pillars on which the government’s distorted and destructive health plans rest.

“The certificate of need was much more than just an administrative instrument. It was an instrument of centralization and state control,” Van der Bijl said after the verdict.

“The government wanted to move health practitioners around like its own pawns on a chessboard to cover up its own failures. Today the court said South Africans are not state property and professionals are not pawns of the government.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Simphiwe is now mixing jokes with positive words

The Chancellor of the Exchequer rescues himself from this millionaire

Joe Sibanyoni | ‘Police still have strong case’

Ramaphosa may block the establishment of a committee to dismiss him

Beleaguered Ekurhuleni city manager back at work

The pain of raising the children of a daughter who was ‘captured’ by the mastande

School Crisis | MEC ‘understates’ department’s role

They want foreign teachers who teach local languages ​​to be expelled

Warrant for prosecutor after case against ‘Joe Ferrari’ is thrown out of court

Editors Picks

Quantum Ai & Kalki: Will Quantum AI be Kalki Avatar? Cyber ​​expert Amit Dubey said – not denying any possibility – quantum ai kalyug kalki avatar connection cyber expert amit dubey said not denying any possibilities

May 19, 2026

Ruling does not change anything as far as NGV is concerned – department

May 19, 2026

The Chancellor of the Exchequer rescues himself from this millionaire

May 19, 2026

Joe Sibanyoni | ‘Police still have strong case’

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest south africa news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Massie race breaks spending record as pro-Israel groups target Trump critic | US Midterm Elections 2026 News

May 18, 2026

Ramaphosa may block the establishment of a committee to dismiss him

May 18, 2026

Kolisi apologized to Sharks fans as he bid farewell to Durban

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Instagram
© 2026 Times Network. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Accessibility

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.