Braam Krueger. (Photo: Facebook)
One of the four suspects believed to be connected with the murder of Braam Krüger, a well-known former paramedic from Pretoria, apparently approached him on a dating app.
This is what the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court, sitting in the Kgosi Mampuru II prison, heard on Wednesday when the four young accused’s bail proceedings resumed.
According to the state, under this pretext, Krüger agreed to meet the person shortly after work. In the end, apparently it was actually a trap.
It was earlier reported that the state claimed Zondi Ntando (36), Siphoshile Xulu (22), Mpendulo Nyembe (27) and Sphesihle Mbambo (24) acted with a common goal to kill and rob Krüger.
Krüger’s bound body was found in a guest house in Brooklyn after the meeting over Easter weekend. According to the state, his cell phone and cash were stolen.
The court heard during a previous appearance that the four suspects were arrested on April 12 in Protea Glen, Soweto. A fifth suspect is still being sought.
On Wednesday, Sesedi Phooko, Ntando’s legal representative, during the cross-examination of sergeant. Daniel Caba, the investigating officer, said Krüger and Ntando apparently met on a dating app.
However, the state objected to this questioning and argued that it had no connection with the bail application.

(Photo: Isabel Venter/Maroela Media)
Nsuku Baloyi – Xulu, Nyembe and Mbambo’s legal representative – then asked Caba about a pending case in KwaZulu-Natal in which the accused are apparently also involved.
Caba testified earlier that all four accused are persons of interest in a separate kidnapping case in this province. The case is apparently related to a professor who was allegedly forced to pay money to his captors.
According to Caba, a warrant has already been issued for Ntando’s arrest in this case.
He further testified that a second case in Rosebank, Johannesburg, is also being investigated. The accused’s alleged modus operandi is believed to be in line with that in the KwaZulu-Natal case, although their alleged involvement has yet to be confirmed.
During cross-examination, Caba confirmed that only a warrant had already been issued for Ntando, but that the police in KwaZulu-Natal were looking for all four accused to possibly charge them.
However, he could not answer with certainty why the investigation team had not yet traveled to Pretoria to formally arrest the accused.
Regarding the defendants’ residential addresses, Caba confirmed that their permanent addresses in KwaZulu-Natal had been checked. However, the outer room in Protea Glen where they lived and were finally apprehended was not investigated because it was only a temporary rental address.
Caba also responded to a question from adv. State prosecutor Kgaogelo Sibeko said strict bail conditions are not always sufficient to ensure that suspects do attend their trial.
Bail applications resume later this week.
