Eastern Cape boxer, Siyakhlowa “One Way” Kuse, won the World Boxing Council (WBC) Strawweight title on Saturday night.

Kuse from Duncan Village, defeated by points the champion Melvin Jerusalem from the Phillippines in the battle at Emperors Palace, Gauteng. It was a day organized by Rodney Berman’s Golden Gloves Promotions. All three judges gave the fight to Kuse 111-116, 112-115, 112-116.

By winning the world’s most prestigious WBC belt, Kuse entered the history books of South African boxing. He is the fourth among the country’s boxers to hold the WBC belt. Others are Thulani “Sugarboy” Malinga (KwaZulu-Natal), Dingaan “The Rose of Soweto” Thobela (Gauteng) and Kevin “The KO Kid” Lerena (Gauteng). In addition, Kuse is the first boxer from the Eastern Cape to win this belt despite the fact that this province has produced world champions of different associations in different weights.

Kuse said he was encouraged to know that his province has never produced a WBC champion.

“It was not easy when I was preparing for the fight. This time I worked hard to make history. When I look at the WBC records, there is no boxer from the Eastern Cape. So I told myself that I will win,” said Kuse.

The fight between Kuse and Jerusalem was a repeat since they fought in October last year, in the Philippines, the local boxer cried. After complaints, with this result the corners agreed that the fight should be repeated in Mzansi. Berman confirmed that Kuse will defend the WBC belt at home before challenging other world champions in his weight class.

Kuse’s manager, Brian Mitchell, said: “We thought we won in the Philippines but we accepted that it was difficult to distinguish who won. We knew what we had to do which was to beat the champion in a clear way. Kuse is a high-class boxer, he has won everything in boxing, the WBC world title, WBC Silver, he is the champion of South Africa and he is only 26 years old.”

Share.
Exit mobile version