South African police with a Ghanaian. (Photo: Rajesh Jantilal/AFP)
Ghana said on Thursday it had delayed the removal of more than 800 of its citizens from South Africa after a widely circulated video showing the alleged assault of a Ghanaian sparked outrage.
The footage of the attack on Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian living in South Africa, has been widely shared on social media in the latest wave of xenophobic violence against foreigners in the country.
Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said earlier this month that citizens are being removed from South Africa because of the situation.
About 800 Ghanaians were due to be removed from Thursday, but the process has been delayed due to the large number of people involved and legal approval procedures required by South Africa, the ministry said.
“Taking into account the numbers involved and the South African legal requirements that must be met, including mandatory passenger screening, coordination between various institutions and flight permits, the planned removal has been postponed by a few days,” the ministry said.
According to the ministry, Ghanaian and South African authorities have agreed to speed up the process.
(Photo: Rajesh Jantilal/AFP)
Only one Ghanaian arrived at OR Tambo International Airport in South Africa on Thursday, AFP journalists at the airport reported.
The Government of Ghana has undertaken to assist those removed from South Africa with a financial reintegration package and psychosocial support.
Ghana is increasingly pushing for the issue to receive wider attention on the continent and has raised concerns about xenophobic violence during African Union talks. According to Ghana, repeated attacks threaten African integration and free movement goals under frameworks such as the African Continental Free Trade Area.
Asamoah, the man in the video that made headlines, has since returned safely to Ghana.
