The DA has applauded the decision of the Parliamentary committee in charge of the operation of public funds to investigate allegations of corruption in Thekwini Municipality.
The leader of the DA in Thekwini Municipality, Mr. Thabani Mthethwa, said that they had been complaining about allegations of corruption in the council.
“We always complain about the water problem that plagues Durban. Most of the time, the municipality does not send water trucks to problem areas. Many water trucks are dead. A lot of money is spent without following the rules and no action is taken against people. We are happy that these things we are complaining about will be investigated by the committee.”
The Parliamentary committee will cook the council officers in a small pot at the meeting that will be held in Parliament today.
The committee wants officials to explain allegations of corruption in the employment of council police officers, sexual allegations against the municipal manager, a report on the employment of the wife of the council’s finance officer.
The committee wants the municipality to reveal the owners of the water trucks hired by the municipality, and it also wants a report on the delay in the construction of houses in Nanda, the Namibia Stop 8 Housing Project.
Mthethwa said that they have long wanted an investigation into the delay in the construction of houses that started in 2019.
“The money used to build these houses is R140 million, but until today they have not been completed.”
The Mayor of Durban, Mr. Cyril Xaba, stood up to inspect the construction of these houses on Monday.
In a statement, the municipality said that houses will be built-1 977 under this scheme.
He said that under the first phase, 342 houses will be built, currently 73 houses have been built.
The first phase of this project is the construction of 342 houses.
When the construction of the houses started, 68 families were taken to the waiting area, currently 20 families are left in the waiting area.
“One of the problems that caused the program to be delayed was the confiscation of land and the increase in the number of people who were designated to benefit. The council is currently in the process of looking at other strategies that will help the program continue.”