Close Menu
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
What's On

Ouaddou admitted to being burdened by the history of the Pirates

May 18, 2026

He made history in Mzansi by winning the WBC belt

May 18, 2026

The family is accused of brutally murdering the old man and accusing them of witchcraft

May 18, 2026

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

May 18, 2026

Blonde peasant girl makes a big name with ‘just a blazer’

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Times Network
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
Home » Peru’s election chief steps down amid frustration over long vote count | Elections News
Local News

Peru’s election chief steps down amid frustration over long vote count | Elections News

By staffApril 22, 20262 Mins Read
Peru’s election chief steps down amid frustration over long vote count | Elections News
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Ballot delivery delays and other missteps on election day have contributed to frustration with electoral authorities.

Published On 21 Apr 202621 Apr 2026

The head of Peru’s election authority has resigned from his role amid widespread anger over the country’s chaotic general election earlier this month, with vote counting still under way.

Piero Corvetto said in a social media post on Tuesday that he was stepping down as head of the National Office of Electoral Processes (ONPE), a government body tasked with organising elections in Peru.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

In a letter to the National Board of Justice (JNJ), Corvetto denied that irregularities had taken place, as some politicians have alleged.

But he explained that he was leaving in a bid to increase public confidence, ahead of an anticipated second round of voting in the presidential race on June 7.

The first round of the election, held on April 12, was marred by logistical issues that led to the extension of voting hours around the capital Lima and elsewhere.

Election observers have acknowledged missteps with the electoral process but cautioned that there is no firm evidence of fraud.

Peru’s National Jury of Elections (JNE) said the voting results will be finalised no later than May 15, with the top two presidential candidates advancing to the final round.

Right-wing candidate Keiko Fujimori leads with about 17 percent of the vote and is likely to advance to the run-off.

But who will face her remains a mystery. Left-wing Congressman Roberto Sanchez and Lima’s former far-right mayor Rafael Lopez Aliaga remain virtually tied, with 12 percent and 11.9 percent respectively.

The hectic first round of voting could deepen dissatisfaction with the country’s political system at a time of protracted instability and sloping trust in government institutions.

Even before the April election, about 68 percent of Peruvians said that they had little to no trust in the country’s election authorities, according to a poll conducted by the Institute for Peruvian Studies (IEP) and the Institute Bartolome de las Casas (IBC).

Some presidential candidates, including Lopez Aliaga, have pushed unconfirmed claims of fraud and have called for the first round of voting to be nullified.

Election authorities have begun to review thousands of contested ballots that were challenged due to inconsistencies, missing details or tally sheet errors.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete career Golden Masters | Tennis

Trump holds prayer rally to ‘rededicate’ US as ‘one nation under God’ | Donald Trump News

DRC faces deadly Ebola resurgence amid worsening humanitarian crisis | Features

At least four killed in Ukrainian drone attacks on Russia | Russia-Ukraine war News

Tunisians rally amid economic crisis and political arrests | Protests

Francesca Albanese on Israeli sexual violence suffered by Palestinians | Politics

Ultra-Orthodox conscription dispute pushes Israeli government to brink | Politics News

Outbreak of rare strain of Ebola claims at least 65 lives in DR Congo | Ebola

Editors Picks

He made history in Mzansi by winning the WBC belt

May 18, 2026

The family is accused of brutally murdering the old man and accusing them of witchcraft

May 18, 2026

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

May 18, 2026

Blonde peasant girl makes a big name with ‘just a blazer’

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest south africa news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

What is rare is for Zionists to unite in music and praise

May 18, 2026

Glynnis Breytenbach now DA chief whip in parliament

May 18, 2026

A program to end identity theft

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Instagram
© 2026 Times Network. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Accessibility

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.