Activists during a march in Bandung, Indonesia, against Israel’s interception of ships participating in the Global Sumud flotilla (May 19, 2026) (Photo: Timur Matahari / AFP)

The South African government condemned Israel after reports were received that South Africans on board the Global Sumud flotilla, which was on its way to Gaza, had been detained in international waters.

The Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) says it notes with concern reports that the flotilla has been stopped by Israel and that South African citizens may now be detained in Israel.

According to Dirco, the flotilla was a civilian initiative with the aim of drawing attention to the humanitarian emergency in Gaza and trying to deliver essential aid to Palestinians in the area.

“Such developments raise serious humanitarian, legal and diplomatic concerns that cannot be taken lightly,” the statement said.

Dirco says South Africa has a “longstanding commitment” to international law, the protection of human rights and the safety and well-being of its citizens, wherever they may be.

The department called on all parties involved to exercise restraint, respect international law and protect the rights, dignity and safety of those on board.

“The safety, security and physical integrity of all the unarmed participants on board the flotilla, including South African citizens, is of the utmost importance.”

The department argues that any forced detention of the vessels in international waters would be a serious violation of international legal norms and basic human rights.

Dirco says it is liaising with relevant stakeholders and organizations working with the Global Sumud flotilla in an effort to help ensure the safe and immediate release of those involved. The department says the families of the South Africans will be kept informed as the situation develops.

The government also called on the international community and all relevant parties to fulfill their obligations under international law and ensure that humanitarian missions can proceed safely and unimpeded.

The latest development follows after South Africa last year also asked that safe passage be granted to the Global Sumud flotilla. At the time, the government also said the mission wanted to take humanitarian aid to Gaza. Some of the South African activists were later repatriated and eventually arrived in Jordan.

Israel has previously said such attempts to break the blockade of Gaza will not be allowed.

Share.
Exit mobile version