Close Menu
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
What's On

Kaze wants Petersen in form for Bafana

May 18, 2026

Warrant for prosecutor after case against ‘Joe Ferrari’ is thrown out of court

May 18, 2026

Ouaddou admitted to being burdened by the history of the Pirates

May 18, 2026

He made history in Mzansi by winning the WBC belt

May 18, 2026

The family is accused of brutally murdering the old man and accusing them of witchcraft

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Times Network
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
Home » Russia-Ukraine Orthodox Easter ceasefire begins | Russia-Ukraine war News
Local News

Russia-Ukraine Orthodox Easter ceasefire begins | Russia-Ukraine war News

By staffApril 11, 20263 Mins Read
Russia-Ukraine Orthodox Easter ceasefire begins | Russia-Ukraine war News
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Both sides have agreed to observe the temporary truce, as US-led diplomatic efforts to end the war continue to stall.

Published On 11 Apr 202611 Apr 2026

A temporary ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine has come into force, with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy saying Kyiv would respect it if Moscow did.

The ceasefire is due to last for 32 hours, from 4:00pm local time (13:00 GMT) on Saturday until midnight on Sunday, according to the Kremlin.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Russian President Vladimir Putin had ordered the ceasefire on Thursday to coincide with Orthodox Easter celebrations, more than a week after Zelenskyy first made the proposal.

Both sides have agreed to observe it.

“Ukraine will adhere to the ceasefire and respond strictly in kind. The absence of Russian strikes in the air, on land, and at sea will mean no response from our side,” Zelenskyy said in a post on social media.

The Ukrainian army said it was ready to “immediately” respond if Russia violated it.

Hours before the truce started, Russia launched at least 160 drones at Ukraine, killing four people in the country’s east and south and wounding dozens, Ukrainian authorities said.

The southern Odesa region was among the hardest hit, with authorities reporting two dead and damage to civilian infrastructure.

Meanwhile, four people died in Ukrainian drone attacks on Russian-occupied parts of Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk and Kherson regions, according to Russian-installed officials.

Ukrainians have expressed scepticism about whether the truce will hold.

The two sides held a ceasefire for Orthodox Easter last year, but both accused the other of hundreds of violations.

Despite tensions over the truce, the warring sides exchanged 175 prisoners of war each on Saturday, according to officials.

The United Arab Emirates helped mediate the exchange, the Russian Ministry of Defence said.

During more than four years of war, Kyiv and Moscow have carried out regular POW exchanges. They are among the few concrete results to emerge from several rounds of United States-brokered peace talks between Ukraine and Russia, which remain stalled over the issue of territory.

Ukraine has proposed freezing the conflict along the current front lines.

But Russia has rejected this, saying it wants Ukraine to give up all the territory in the Donetsk region that it currently controls – a demand Kyiv says is unacceptable.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russia had not discussed the Easter proposal in advance with the US, nor did it signal any immediate revival of three-way peace talks.

Fighting on the front has come to a near standstill.

Russia has made small territorial gains at a high cost. But Kyiv recently managed to push back in the southeast, and Russian advances have been slowing since late 2025, according to the US-based Institute for the Study of War.

Moscow occupies just more than 19 percent of Ukraine, most of which was seized during the first weeks of the conflict.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete career Golden Masters | Tennis

Trump holds prayer rally to ‘rededicate’ US as ‘one nation under God’ | Donald Trump News

DRC faces deadly Ebola resurgence amid worsening humanitarian crisis | Features

At least four killed in Ukrainian drone attacks on Russia | Russia-Ukraine war News

Tunisians rally amid economic crisis and political arrests | Protests

Francesca Albanese on Israeli sexual violence suffered by Palestinians | Politics

Ultra-Orthodox conscription dispute pushes Israeli government to brink | Politics News

Outbreak of rare strain of Ebola claims at least 65 lives in DR Congo | Ebola

Editors Picks

Warrant for prosecutor after case against ‘Joe Ferrari’ is thrown out of court

May 18, 2026

Ouaddou admitted to being burdened by the history of the Pirates

May 18, 2026

He made history in Mzansi by winning the WBC belt

May 18, 2026

The family is accused of brutally murdering the old man and accusing them of witchcraft

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest south africa news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

May 18, 2026

Blonde peasant girl makes a big name with ‘just a blazer’

May 18, 2026

What is rare is for Zionists to unite in music and praise

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Instagram
© 2026 Times Network. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Accessibility

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.