Close Menu
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
What's On

Kaze wants Petersen in form for Bafana

May 18, 2026

Warrant for prosecutor after case against ‘Joe Ferrari’ is thrown out of court

May 18, 2026

Ouaddou admitted to being burdened by the history of the Pirates

May 18, 2026

He made history in Mzansi by winning the WBC belt

May 18, 2026

The family is accused of brutally murdering the old man and accusing them of witchcraft

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Times Network
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
Home » Palestinians condemn storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by Israel’s Ben-Gvir | Al-Aqsa Mosque News
Local News

Palestinians condemn storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by Israel’s Ben-Gvir | Al-Aqsa Mosque News

By staffApril 12, 20263 Mins Read
Palestinians condemn storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by Israel’s Ben-Gvir | Al-Aqsa Mosque News
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Israel’s far-right national ‌security minister storms the mosque compound under the protection of settlers, drawing condemnation from Palestinians.

Published On 12 Apr 202612 Apr 2026

Israel’s far-right National ‌Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound ⁠in occupied East Jerusalem’s Old ⁠City – his third incursion into Islam’s third holiest site this year – as Israel arrested at least 18 Palestinians in the occupied West Bank on Sunday.

Accompanied by Israeli settlers under heavy protection from Israeli forces, Ben-Gvir offered Jewish prayers at the site, which is not allowed for non-Muslims as part of the status quo arrangement in place since 1967, though Jewish people are permitted to visit the compound.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

A statement from Jordan’s Foreign Ministry said it considered Ben-Gvir’s visit to be a violation of the status quo agreement at the site and “a desecration of its sanctity, a condemnable escalation and ⁠an unacceptable provocation”.

The Palestinian Authority’s presidency has also condemned the storming of the mosque compound, which has become more frequent in recent years.

In a statement, the presidency said the move was a blatant violation of the historical and legal status quo at the holy site, Palestinian news agency Wafa reported.

Ben-Gvir, who has stormed the mosque compound at least 16 times since taking office in 2022, is part of a growing settler movement that wants to take over the Al-Aqsa Mosque, with the far-right Israeli minister having expressed his intention to build a Jewish synagogue in place of the holy Muslim site.

“Today, I feel like the owner here,” Ben-Gvir said in a video filmed at the site and distributed by his office. “There is still more to do, more to improve. I keep pushing the prime minister (Benjamin Netanyahu) to do more and more,” he said.

There has been no comment from Netanyahu’s office so far.

Israel had closed the Al-Aqsa Mosque to the public for 40 days after launching its war on Iran on February 28. Israel often imposes restrictions, especially on Palestinian worshippers, with Israeli authorities also preventing Eid al-Fitr prayers at Al-Aqsa this year – the first such restriction since Israel’s illegal occupation of East Jerusalem in 1967.

The mosque reopened on April 9 to Palestinian worshippers. But later that day, Israeli settlers stormed the compound and performed Talmudic rituals, under the protection of Israeli police, Wafa reported.

Wafa also said that Israeli authorities had extended the daily windows for Israeli settler incursions by an additional 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, Israeli raids have continued across the occupied West Bank, with at least 18 people arrested on Sunday.

Wafa said Israel arrested six Palestinians during a raid on Dheisheh refugee camp, south of Bethlehem.

A  child and a young man were also injured by Israeli forces during a raid on the city of Nablus.

Attacks by Israeli forces across Gaza and the occupied West Bank have continued, along with Israel’s wars on Iran and Lebanon.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) says more than 1,100 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the occupied West Bank since October 2023, with thousands forcibly displaced.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete career Golden Masters | Tennis

Trump holds prayer rally to ‘rededicate’ US as ‘one nation under God’ | Donald Trump News

DRC faces deadly Ebola resurgence amid worsening humanitarian crisis | Features

At least four killed in Ukrainian drone attacks on Russia | Russia-Ukraine war News

Tunisians rally amid economic crisis and political arrests | Protests

Francesca Albanese on Israeli sexual violence suffered by Palestinians | Politics

Ultra-Orthodox conscription dispute pushes Israeli government to brink | Politics News

Outbreak of rare strain of Ebola claims at least 65 lives in DR Congo | Ebola

Editors Picks

Warrant for prosecutor after case against ‘Joe Ferrari’ is thrown out of court

May 18, 2026

Ouaddou admitted to being burdened by the history of the Pirates

May 18, 2026

He made history in Mzansi by winning the WBC belt

May 18, 2026

The family is accused of brutally murdering the old man and accusing them of witchcraft

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest south africa news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

May 18, 2026

Blonde peasant girl makes a big name with ‘just a blazer’

May 18, 2026

What is rare is for Zionists to unite in music and praise

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Instagram
© 2026 Times Network. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Accessibility

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.