Close Menu
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
What's On

Isuzu is assisting farmers in the midst of the foot-and-mouth crisis

May 23, 2026

Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico with FIFA approval | World Cup 2026 News

May 23, 2026

The history of three KZN places on MTN8

May 23, 2026

Kaze is hoping for a new contract with the Chiefs

May 23, 2026

From farm road to podcast: ‘Bakkieboer’ tells real rural stories

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Times Network
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
Home » Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico with FIFA approval | World Cup 2026 News
Local News

Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico with FIFA approval | World Cup 2026 News

By staffMay 23, 20262 Mins Read
Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico with FIFA approval | World Cup 2026 News
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Iran were expected to fly from Turkiye to Arizona to continue World Cup 2026 preparations but will switch to Mexico.

Published On 23 May 202623 May 2026

Iran will base ‌their squad in the Mexican border city of Tijuana ⁠during this ⁠year’s World Cup after football’s world governing body FIFA approved a request to move their training camp from Arizona, ⁠the head of Iran’s football federation said on Saturday.

“We will be based in the Tijuana camp, which is near the Pacific ⁠Ocean and on the border between Mexico and the United States,” Iran’s Football Federation President Mehdi Taj said in a video posted on its Telegram social media account.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Taj added that the switch would help ‌avoid visa-related complications following the US-Israel war on Iran, and that the squad would be able to fly directly to Mexico with Iran Air.

Iran will play their first two Group G matches in Los Angeles, against New Zealand on June 15 and Belgium on June 21, ⁠before facing Egypt in Seattle on June 26.

“The ⁠total distance between us and the venue of our games in Los Angeles is 55 minutes by flight,” Taj said, adding that Tijuana was closer to their ⁠match venues than the team’s previously planned camp in Arizona.

Iran has faced uncertainty for months ⁠over travel and security arrangements for the ⁠World Cup, which will be cohosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico, and had asked for their games to be moved from the US.

Iranian officials said this month that their players and staff had yet to receive US ‌visas, less than a month before the start of the tournament. They began visa applications during their stay in Turkiye for pre-tournament training.

Taj said FIFA had been asked for guarantees over visas, security ‌and ‌the treatment of the Iranian delegation.

Iran are due to play Gambia in a friendly on May 29 before coach Amir Ghalenoei names his final 26-man World Cup squad by FIFA’s June 1 deadline.

The World Cup is from June 11 to July 19.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

DR Congo will not change World Cup preparations despite US Ebola warning | World Cup 2026 News

Trump releases new batch of previously classified UFO files | Donald Trump News

Israeli blockade traps would-be Hajj pilgrim in Gaza | Religion

WHO raises Ebola public health risk to ‘very high’ in DR Congo | Ebola News

US raises threat of military action against Cuba | Conflict News

Turkish court ousts leader of main opposition party | Politics News

UK launches ‘Great British Summer Savings’ to ease family costs | Business and Economy News

Outrage over Israel’s Ben-Gvir flotilla abuse video: What we know | Israel-Palestine conflict News

Cubans react to US indictment of former President Raul Castro | Raul Castro

Editors Picks

Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico with FIFA approval | World Cup 2026 News

May 23, 2026

The history of three KZN places on MTN8

May 23, 2026

Kaze is hoping for a new contract with the Chiefs

May 23, 2026

From farm road to podcast: ‘Bakkieboer’ tells real rural stories

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest south africa news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

They boast of producing three new games

May 23, 2026

More than 8,600 pieces of abalone found during raid

May 23, 2026

MKP have repeatedly attacked Buthelezi

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Instagram
© 2026 Times Network. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Accessibility

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.