Close Menu
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
What's On

‘Tragedy awaits’: DA warns of dangerous railway bridge in Upington

May 23, 2026

Those who are thinking of ousting Ramaphosa – Mbalula are dreaming

May 23, 2026

They want doctor’s degrees for politicians who used to wear coats

May 23, 2026

DR Congo will not change World Cup preparations despite US Ebola warning | World Cup 2026 News

May 23, 2026

Dutch drug smuggler caught at OR Tambo

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Times Network
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Living
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Editor’s Choice
  • Press Release
  • Web Stories
Home » DR Congo will not change World Cup preparations despite US Ebola warning | World Cup 2026 News
Local News

DR Congo will not change World Cup preparations despite US Ebola warning | World Cup 2026 News

By staffMay 23, 20263 Mins Read
DR Congo will not change World Cup preparations despite US Ebola warning | World Cup 2026 News
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

World Cup cohosts United States have warned the Democratic Republic of the Congo team to isolate due to Ebola fears.

Published On 23 May 202623 May 2026

The Democratic Republic of the Congo ‌(DRC) have no plans to change their preparations for the 2026 World Cup, despite ⁠a warning from the ⁠United States that the team must isolate for 21 days before arriving in the country, a team official has said.

Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the ⁠White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed on Friday that the Congolese delegation needed to maintain a bubble where they are training in Belgium and isolate ⁠for 21 days or risk being denied entry after a deadly outbreak of the Ebola virus in the central African country.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The Congolese team are to be based in Houston at the tournament and will play an opening Group K fixture against Portugal on June 17, followed by matches against ‌Colombia on June 23 in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.

“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani told ESPN on Saturday.

“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well that they need to maintain that bubble, or they risk not being able to travel to the United ⁠States. We cannot be any clearer.”

But a team spokesperson said that at ⁠this stage there was no change to their schedule, which includes a friendly against Denmark in Liege, Belgium, on June 3 and another against Chile in Cadiz, Spain, six days later.

“We have kept our training programme. No ⁠player in the squad has come from DR Congo,” the official said.

The entire squad of players are based outside the DRC, mostly ⁠in Europe, including coach Sebastien Desabre. A few team officials ⁠arrived at the training camp in Belgium from the DRC earlier this week.

The team had planned a three-day trip to Kinshasa next week as a celebratory send-off before they head to their first World Cup in 52 years, but ‌that trip has been cancelled.

The World Health Organization on Friday raised to “very high” the risk of the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the DRC ‌and ‌has declared the outbreak there and in neighbouring Uganda an emergency of international concern.

Nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths have been recorded following the outbreak in DRC.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Trump releases new batch of previously classified UFO files | Donald Trump News

Israeli blockade traps would-be Hajj pilgrim in Gaza | Religion

WHO raises Ebola public health risk to ‘very high’ in DR Congo | Ebola News

US raises threat of military action against Cuba | Conflict News

Turkish court ousts leader of main opposition party | Politics News

UK launches ‘Great British Summer Savings’ to ease family costs | Business and Economy News

Outrage over Israel’s Ben-Gvir flotilla abuse video: What we know | Israel-Palestine conflict News

Cubans react to US indictment of former President Raul Castro | Raul Castro

Bolivian president to reshuffle cabinet amid antigovernment protests | Protests News

Editors Picks

Those who are thinking of ousting Ramaphosa – Mbalula are dreaming

May 23, 2026

They want doctor’s degrees for politicians who used to wear coats

May 23, 2026

DR Congo will not change World Cup preparations despite US Ebola warning | World Cup 2026 News

May 23, 2026

Dutch drug smuggler caught at OR Tambo

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest south africa news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

AI Safety: Why are people now hiding their hands in photos? AI is the reason that can empty bank accounts – why people hiding hands in photos ai fingerprint theft online biometric scam alerts

May 23, 2026

The first local film to be shown at the Movie Room

May 23, 2026

Maintenance arrears, poor financial management plague Jhb

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Instagram
© 2026 Times Network. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Accessibility

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.